Thursday, August 16, 2012

Brembo GT Information Source, Part 3: Finishing Installation

So I needed to be sure which way the bracket goes in, in case the treaded holes are tapered, so I don't damage them.
Turns out that as shown in the photos is the only way it will go in correctly.

Once I figured this out, I was able to torque the bolts and the brackets held fine.

I've read in a thread about D2 brakes (different brakes, similar mounting system), that an Australian had problems with the 2 hub bolts loosening at the track and what worked for him was a small amount of treadlocker blue.
Subaru does not mention any treadlocker for these 2 bolts, but maybe there is more vibration with these and they are treading into aluminum, so I used it.
Any liquid can act as a lubricant, modifying the tightening torque perceived by the torque wrench. I decided to ignore this and was fine.

Then I had to install the calipers, the caliper bolts and tighten them. These bolts are shown in the above instructions to be tightened to 80 ft lbs.
The problem is that in the instructions a different style bracket is shown, one that has studs. You're fastening steel to steel at 80 ftlb in their diagram.

I decided to apply 80 ftlb, it was fine. No treadlocker here. I was hoping to get a bit better support with this issue. I got an installation drawing but no torque confirmation.

One thing to note is that the rotor hat thickenss is smaller with the Brembos. This effectively changes the wheel offset.

No comments:

Post a Comment